Sugar Valley, Pennsylvania

From Cyclopedia Britannica
(Redirected from SUGAR VALLEY, Pennslyvania)
Jump to: navigation, search

Sugar Valley is a valley in Clinton County, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

The valley gathered its name from the rich abundance and overall size of the Sugar Maple trees it held which were discovered upon first settlement. The dimensions of the valley are approximately eighteen miles in length running from east to west and approximately two miles in width. The two parallel mountains separating Sugar Valley include the Brush Valley mountain on the southern side and the Sugar Valley mountain on the northern. Two roads transverse the entire length of the valley and are commonly known as Winter Road, which runs along the Brush Valley side, and the other being Summer Road which in turn parallels Sugar Valley mountain. Winter road obtains its name because that the winter sun melts the snow on the north side of the valley first. The enclosing sandstone mountains slope to the limestone floor and shape Sugar Valley into a canoe-like form from a topical perspective.

Timeline

1840 - Town of Loganton (Formerly known as Logansville) was laid out by Anthony Kleckner.

1840 - Logan & Greene Township formed.

1842 - Tylersville founded.

1861 - First water company for the borough was incorporated.

1866 - Booneville was established.

1872 - P O S of A was established.

1874 - Logan Mills covered bridge is constructed.

1886 - Community band was formed.

1899 - Bull Run one-room school constructed.

1906 - Telephone services was introduced.

1918 - Fire destroys near three-fourths of the borough of Loganton.

1946 - Sugar Valley Volunteer Fire Company was founded.

1955 - Historical Bull Run school is closed.

1960 - Interstate 80 develops and runs through parts of Sugar Valley.

1972 - Amish introduced into community coming from Lancaster area.

1990 - Celebration of 150 years of Loganton and Sugar Valley in Sesquicentennial.

Townships/Towns

Within Sugar Valley, it contains two townships, one borough and ten villages. All holding background information from where their names originated.

GREENE TOWNSHIP

Greene Township was formed in 1840 out of Logan Township. Its name derives from Captain Harry Greene of Milton and his six companions. They were killed in February 1801 at the east end of Sugar Valley in pursuit of a group of Indians known for stealing cattle and burning settlements throughout the Juniata and West Branch Valleys. This ended up being the last Indian massacre in Pennsylvania. A commemorative marker in Captain Greene's honor was erected and located off the Mile Run exit on Interstate 80 but has disappeared within the last twenty years. Contributing to Greene Township's growth, five villages and one borough were established: Bull Run, Carroll, Centerville, Eastville, Loganton and Rosecrans.

Bull Run

Originally called Sugar Grove because of the areas abundance of sugar maple trees but was changed to the nickname of Bull Run because the belief that it is located where buffalo crossed the mountains long ago here.

Carroll

Named after William Carroll who operated a furnace in the area. The historical commercial past from this village is completely gone.

Centerville

Name originated because of its location of being in the central portion of the valley. More commonly known today as Schracktown because of local family owned farm that occupies the majority of the area.

Eastville

Was once named Princetown but was changed to Eastville with a more simple explanation of its location - being at the east end.

Loganton

Originally called Logansville with its name derived from Chief Logan. the town originated in 1840 and later incorporated as a borough in 1864. Name being changed to Loganton by court action of the postal service on February 29, 1888 due to a town in York County already claiming Logansville.

Rosecrans

Named after General Rosecrans of the Civil War by postmaster George Wagner.

LOGAN TOWNSHIP

Logan Township was formed in 1839 out of Miles Township which is located in Centre County. Its name also derives from the Indian Chief Logan. Contributing to Logan Township's growth, four villages were established: Booneville, Greenburr, Logan Mills and Tylersville.

Booneville

John and Ralph Boone named the town after themselves. They laid it out in 1866.

Greenburr

Originally known as Greenville for its location among vast amounts of green trees was later changed to what is it known as today.

Logan Mills

Colonel Anthony Kleckner established Logan Mills. Just as Loganton and Logan Township received their names from Chief Logan, this is also where Logan mills got its own as well.

Tylersville

Founded by Squire M.D. Rockey in 1842, he named the village after the President of the United States at the time which was John Tyler.

Population

Year Logan Twp. Greene Twp. Loganton Total
1830 601 --- --- 601
1860 832 1265 --- 2097
1890 941 1189 390 2520
1920 853 957 254 2064
1950 687 857 346 1890
1980 737 1002 474 2213

Attractions

There are many tourism attractions in Sugar Valley, including: Logan Mills covered bridge, Logan Mills grist mill, Sulphur Springs, Amish communities, fishing creek, the state forest and state game lands (surrounding mountains), Rosecrans Reservoir, Schrack's farm, Meyer's Dairy farm, Tea Springs, Country Smoke Jam (bluegrass festival), Booneville campground, Tylersville Fish Hatchery, The Rosecrans Falls, Bull Run school.

References

Template:Reflist

Friday, June 29, 1990 commemorating the 150th birthday of Loganton and Sugar Valley

  • Clinton County: A Journey Through Time
  • Editors; Susan Bossert Hannegan, Jean Simmons May
  • Loganton & Sugar Valley Sesquicentennial 1840-1990
  • Created by the many Sesquicentennial Committee Members

Template:Gnis

Template:Coord